Ophthalmologist and Eye Surgeon
The heart and soul of Jenkins Eye Care is Tyrie Jenkins, M.D. As a nationally renowned Ophthalmologist and eye surgeon, she sets the standard for eye care in the US and at her practice in Honolulu.
Widely known as a LASIK pioneer, she performed laser vision correction in 1997 and was the first to do so in Hawaii. Over the years, Dr. Jenkins has evaluated and invested in new technologies so she can bring the very best care and deliver outstanding outcomes for her patients. More recently, she was the first to perform laser assisted cataract surgery – LenSx® in February of 2012.
As an experienced cataract surgeon, Dr. Jenkins utilizes the LenSx® blade free technology for laser cataract surgery. She continually studies and researches the cutting-edge treatments to give her patients their best vision for a lifetime.
Dr. Jenkins received her medical degree from Jefferson Medical School in Philadelphia and performed her residency requirements at the world-renowned Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia.
She is a board-certified ophthalmologist and an active member of numerous organizations and ophthalmic societies.
She has served on the boards of The Hawaii Community Foundation, Women’s Fund of Hawaii, Hawaii Opera Theatre, Project Vision Hawaii and Hawaii Public Radio. She has been involved in the local and international community participating in several medical missions to Marshall Islands, China, Samoa, and Vietnam.
Besides restoring the vision of her patients, she is also passionate about hiking, golf, sailing, and needlepointing.
- College: Mount Holyoke College – South Hadley, MA
- Medical School: Jefferson Medical School – Philadelphia, PA
- Internship: Wilmington Medical Center – Wilmington, DE
- Residency: Wills Eye Hospital – Philadelphia, PA
- American Board of Ophthalmology, 1986
Professional and Academic Affiliations
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Hawaii Medical Association
- International Society of Refractive Surgery
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- American European Congress of Ophthalmic Surgery
- Hawaii Ophthalmology Society
- Small Business Association: Oahu Women in Business Advocate 2004
- Pacific Business News: Women Who Mean Business 2000, 2004
- YMCA: Leader Luncheon Award 2005
- Visx: Top 100 List of Eye Surgeons in the US, twice named