What happens if my cataracts are left untreated?
Cataracts will continue to develop over time, and your vision will get worse. Loss of vision affects the overall quality of life in many ways, including reading, working, hobbies, and sports. If left untreated, cataracts can cause total blindness.
Femtosecond laser affords cataract patients:
- A more advanced procedure using 3-D imaging
- A more precise treatment
- Greater predictability
- Gently and easily removes the cataract
- A more personalized treatment
- Little to no discomfort
- Delivers gentle energy to perform the most critical steps in cataract surgery.
- Cataract patients with astigmatism can be treated with the laser
For your safety, you cannot drive yourself home on the day of surgery. After you go home, you should take a nap. Mild to moderate discomfort is normal on the first day. We will see you at our office on Piikoi the next day.
- Do not rub your eye.
- Wear a shield over your eye at bedtime for one week.
- For one week after surgery, avoid bending over, getting water in the eyes, strenuous activities, and heavy lifting. Walking, watching TV, and reading are okay during this time.
- For two weeks after surgery, avoid water sports, strenuous exercise, and heavy lifting.
- As a matter of habit, it is important to wear good sunglasses after surgery.