Tyrie Jenkins M.D. – Ophthalmologist and Eye Surgeon
The heart and soul of Jenkins Eye Care is Tyrie Jenkins, M.D. As a nationally renowned Ophthalmologist and eye surgeon, she sets the standard for eye care in the US and at her practice in Honolulu.
Widely known as a LASIK pioneer, she performed laser vision correction in 1997, and was the first to do so in Hawaii. Over the years Dr. Jenkins has evaluated and invested in new technologies so she can bring the very best care and deliver outstanding outcomes for her patients.
As an experienced cataract surgeon, Dr. Jenkins utilizes the LenSx® blade free technology for laser cataract surgery. She continually studies and researches the cutting edge treatments to give her patients their best vision for a lifetime.
Dr. Jenkins received her medical degree from Jefferson Medical School in Philadelphia and performed her residency requirements at the world renowned Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia.
She is a board certified ophthalmologist and an active member of numerous organizations and ophthalmic societies.
Dr. Jenkins conducts the Jenkins Eye Care Lecture Series as well as being a lecturer for the SCORH Society & Hawaii Optometric Association.
She has served on the boards of The Hawaii Community Foundation, Women’s Fund of Hawaii, Hawaii Opera Theatre, and Hawaii Public Radio. She has been involved in the local and international community participating in several medical missions to Marshall Islands, China, Samoa, and Vietnam.
Besides restoring the vision of her patients, she is also passionate about biking, golf, sailing and knitting. She, along with her husband has raised four children.
- College: Mount Holyoke College – South Hadley, MA
- Medical School: Jefferson Medical School – Philadelphia, PA
- Internship: Wilmington Medical Center – Wilmington, DE
- Residency: Wills Eye Hospital – Philadelphia, PA
- American Board of Ophthalmology, 1986
Professional and Academic Affiliations
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Hawaii Medical Association
- International Society of Refractive Surgery
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- American European Congress of Ophthalmic Surgery
- Hawaii Ophthalmology Society
- Small Business Association: Oahu Women in Business Advocate 2004
- Pacific Business News: Women Who Mean Business 2000, 2004
- YMCA: Leader Luncheon Award 2005
- Visx: Top 100 List of Eye Surgeons in the US, twice named
Jeffrey Peterson, M.D. – Ophthalmologist and Eye Surgeon
The newest member of the Jenkins Eye Care team is ophthalmologist Dr. Jeffrey Peterson, who specializes in the care of patients with glaucoma.
Dr. Peterson was born and raised in Honolulu and is thrilled to return to Hawaii to practice ophthalmology. He earned both an M.D. and a Ph.D from Weill Cornell Medical College in New York City, and completed his residency in ophthalmology at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston. He was specially trained through a fellowship in glaucoma at the Robert Cizik Eye Clinic at the University of Texas Medical School in Houston.
As a clinical fellow Dr. Peterson became adept at managing advanced cases of glaucoma. He understands the rigor of chronic eye diseases like glaucoma and their impact on patient’s lives. Dr. Peterson employs sophisticated leading edge techniques for early detection and the medical and surgical treatment of glaucoma. He is committed to educating his patients about glaucoma and walking them through each step of treatment.
Dr. Peterson has been an invited speaker at both national and international scientific and clinical meetings. He has authored numerous peer reviewed journals and textbook chapters.
Dr. Peterson and his wife, Sarah Grekin M.D. have one daughter. He enjoys hiking, swimming, golfing, playing the piano, running and reading. He is thrilled to return to the islands and to have the opportunity to treat patients with glaucoma and other eye diseases in the ‘ohana setting at Jenkins Eye Care.
- College University of California – Los Angeles, CA
- Medical and Graduate School – Weill Cornell / Rockefeller/ Sloan-Kettering – New York, NY
- Internship Joseph Mercy Hospital – Ann Arbor, MI
- Residency Cullen Eye Institute, Baylor College of Medicine – Houston, TX
- Fellowship University of Texas Medical School at Houston, Robert Cizik Eye Clinic
- American Board of Ophthalmology, 2016
Awards and Distinctions
- Chief Resident, Baylor Ophthalmology
- Merck New Investigator Award
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Phi Beta Kappa
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Glaucoma Society, Provisional Member
Click HERE to watch a short video about our newest associate
Loretta Ng O.D. – Optometrist and Clinical Director
Dr. Loretta Ng is unique in that she is not only a clinician but also a researcher and an educator. This diverse professional background allows her to provide exceptional clinical care, from educating patients on their eye condition, to providing considered treatment strategies.
Dr. Ng spent six years on the faculty at the Southern California College of Optometry teaching the diagnosis and management of eye diseases, conducting both original research and FDA studies and publishing results in peer-reviewed journals. Today she remains committed to the education of her patients and her community through involvement in local and international public health efforts. She routinely speaks on eye health topics for the American Diabetes Association, local community centers and churches. She volunteers for vision screenings with the Special Olympics and Project Vision. She also has participated in eye missions to Jamaica, Grenada and Peru.
For the past decade, Dr. Ng has lectured both nationally and internationally. As an investigator in clinical trials, she has conducted research that contributed to the development of new treatments for glaucoma, cataracts and dry eyes.
Dr. Ng enjoys Cross Fit, and exploring the beauty of the Hawaiian Islands with her husband and son.
- College: Queens University – Kingston, Ontario, Canada,
Graduated with Honors
- Optometry School: Waterloo School of Optometry – Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
- Residency: Ocular Disease and Refractive Care
Northeastern State University – Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Jacqueline Ueda, O.D. – Doctor of Optometry
Dr. Jacqueline Ueda joined Jenkins Eye Care in January 2011. She brings over 25 years of experience in the eye care field as a Director and eye care specialist. Dr. Ueda spent her early years working at UCLA’s Jules Stein Eye Institute conducting research and seeing patients at a glaucoma specialty practice. She later joined a private practice in southern California specializing in cataract surgery. While there, Dr. Ueda had the opportunity to work at one of UCLA’s first satellite refractive surgery clinics.
Dr. Ueda also serves as a captain in the Hawaii Air National Guard, in the optometry department of the 154 Medical Group at Hickam Air Force base.
In 1997, Dr. Ueda was named director of laser vision services at the Laser Eye Center of Hawaii (LEC), O‘ahu’s first laser refractive surgery center. For 12 years, she worked with Dr. Jenkins, medical director of LEC, seeing PRK and LASIK patients and also served as LEC’s liaison to more than 130 doctors affiliated with the center.
Dr. Ueda is proficient in Japanese and welcomes Japanese-speaking patients to the practice.
Outside of work, she enjoys running, hiking and working out. She is also an avid sports fan.
- College: University of California, Los Angeles
Los Angeles, California
- Optometry School: Southern California College of Optometry – Fullerton
Graduated with Distinction